The situation is truly awful actually, i'm being ripped off daily. If you email G2A they'll pretend to be interested but continue to sell the keys, revoke the keys and you get shit-posts on Steam accusing you of being a scam. They'll even ask you for access to Steamworks (the developer backend) and send you a 'developer signup' form designed to harvest as much information from you for additional scams.
Really hollows out the entire experience for me, but I just remind myself that bottom-feeders and criminality exist in any industry and the types of people that buy off that site do so because they effectively want a pirated game on their Steam list and likely wouldn't bother buying if they couldn't get it for nothing.
It really sucks to be a game developer these days, you really just can't win.
No-one seems to get that from the second you launch your game on Steam, developers are basically funneled into a situation where you rush the game to shit or go broke. Almost every way of increasing funds leads to getting butt fucked:
- Launch the game in Early Access, then you get two launches; nope, you just get one - fuck it up the first time and it's three years of effort down the drain.
- Sell the game in sales, but then no-one buys the game if not in a sale
- Put the game in a bundle, but then loads of copies just get purchased with stolen credit cards and sold on G2A
- Send out free keys to the media, but no wait, it's some dodgy cunt that's setup an email address with the sole purpose of scamming you.
As well as:
- We get people begging daily for money or keys, threatening to shit-post on Steam or offer to do us the favour of leaving a good review.
- Everytime a major title 'fails' a release and the content is even remotely related to the genre, sales take a nose dive and we find ourselves having to explain away other developers mistakes.
Behind Steams golden gates are a pile of decayed corpses of developers who staked their livelihood on a dream and hope and desperation lead them to make uninformed decisions and totally fuck their project. What's worse? Steam have about 12 million Players who are stood about waiting to point, laugh and shit-post - now admittedly, that's not really a concern, because if you reach even 0.0001% of them, you are doing very very well (and that is NO JOKE.)
The reality is: It's a self-perpetuating bloodbath not a particularly rewarding experience (AKA: It's seriously fucking shit)
But my opinion of G2A - a very real and serious bunch of cunts and likely the root cause of much of the above.